A strong sense of purpose is one of the most powerful elements impacting a team’s creative success. In this episode hear what the research says about team purpose, as well as stories from my personal life where the power of purpose has been important.
What You’ll Learn
- How team purpose impacts a team’s success
- Two elements critical to a team’s sense of purpose
Resources Mentioned in the Episode
- Book: Teamwork: What Must Go Right/What Can Go Wrong by Larson & LaFasto
- Book: Drive by Daniel Pink
- Research: Pinto, J. K., & Prescott, J. E. (1987). Changes in critical success factor importance over the life of a project. New Orleans. 328-332.
- Research: Pearce, C. L., & Ensley, M. D. (2004). A reciprocal and longitudinal investigation of the innovation process: The central role of shared vision in product and process innovation teams (PPITs). Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25(2), 259-278.
- Book: The Wisdom of Teams by Katzenbach & Smith
- Book: Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Lencioni
- Episode 17: Seven Norms of Collaboration
The Weekly Challenge
Invite your team to talk about their purpose. At your next team meeting, ask each team member to write down on a Post-It Note what they believe is the team’s purpose. Hang each on the wall and gather around to read them. What do you notice? Is there alignment or confusion about the team purpose? Then, facilitate a conversation to clarify that team purpose, if needed.